Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Temper, temper

Ask anyone who knows me.

It’s not really a dirty, little secret. It’s obvious once you get to know me just a little bit.

I have a temper.

It shows itself at the oddest times, but it’s almost always unnecessary.

The reasons for these outbursts vary, including dips in my blood sugar levels and overall anxiety.

They also vary in intensity, from snapping off one-liners that are shockingly cutting, to just plain meltdowns that include screaming and crying.

They’re by no means pretty.

I’ve worked hard to control it, from eating well before what I expect to be a tense encounter to physically restraining myself despite actually feeling my body shake from the anger I’m feeling inside.

It’s important to know when it happens and when it’s likely to crop up.

Because I know these emotions so well in myself, they’re that much more apparent in others.

I don’t think the U.S. president should have those same qualities.

As I sat at the studios of WKYC-TV 3 watching the Democratic presidential debate with members of a Greater Cleveland blogging group called Meet the Bloggers, I studied Sen. Hillary Clinton.

I saw so much of myself in her.

She sat on the edge of her seat, snapped at her questioners and sniped at Obama. She spent most of the debate leaning forward in her chair, hands folded in front of her with a snarl on her face.

The explosion never came, but it was nonetheless an awakening.

In early January, while campaigning in New Hampshire, she nearly wept while answering a question on why she was running for office.

The moment seemed to change the direction of a faltering campaign. At that time, I didn’t understand why it mattered.

She was simply exhausted from too many hours speaking to strangers, trying to control her emotions while getting her message across.

Tonight’s display was very different.

With fierce questioning from NBC anchors Brian Williams and Tim Russert, Clinton was uncomfortable and defensive.

She was fighting for her political life.

In the face of foreign leaders, she could very well be fighting for our lives.

I see this debate again changing the direction of a faltering campaign.

This time, I think she’s done. I think on Tuesday night we saw the end of her presidential campaign, whether she admits it or not.

Perhaps our March 4 election will make it even more clear.

On the other side of the table, Obama remained in control throughout. Even when he piped up suddenly to address comments from Clinton, he merely raised his hand to show the desire to speak.

He kept his cool, and betrayed no emotions.

As someone who knows how easy it is to lose control, I know the value of a president who can control their temper.

3 comments:

Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

Very nice to meet you here, Laura and you hit on a point I think is very important. I get the feeling it's more important to her to win than it is to have a vision or be inclusive; I see that 'come out' in her body language. Very insightful too it made me look at myself. But i am not running for higher office!

VorpalBalde22 said...

This is old sexist nonsense.

Hillary was forceful and in control. Everything a national leader should be.

Even if you prefer Obama, rational evaluation says, as he did, that she is entirely worthy to be president.

Detrators like to tag her as too intellectual, and give all the passion points to Obama.

Then whenever she shows a little spirit it's the old sexist tune you try to play here.

Hillary showed an entirely appropriate level of passion, along with her usual superlative intellect.

Obama was playing "me too" all night long.

It's time to be free from sexism and self-hatred. It's time to get wise to self-projection.

Tim Ferris said...

Can't say I can put much credence in the previous post; it comes from a perspective I don't have and perceives things in ways I don't.

Laura, I'm one of Hilary's peers, same age group and background, basically. I lose it every once in a while, too, and back then, that was the way to get things done--brutally, shrilly, totally in the face of the establishment.

I'm the first to admit that it doesn't play well if somebody wants to be president.