Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kids do the most amazing things

Since The News-Herald started producing videos for our Web site in late October, we've run across some remarkable people. We've met gifted athletes, some of the most powerful people in Lake County and those who are struggling with overwhelming grief after enduring shocking losses.

But the ones who make the greatest impact on me are the children I've seen through my lens. I met 12 superstars at Richmond Heights High School who bared their fears about what would a levy failure would do to their district, and, therefore, their education. I interviewed a group of first- and second-graders from St. Mary Magdalene-St. Justin Martyr in Eastlake, who described what they had given up for Lent, and why.

Today, I met a sixth-grader from Willoughby Middle School named Marlon "Tommy" Richmond, who recently won an essay contest in which he wrote about what Black History Month means to him.

To say Tommy lights up a room is an understatement. He's bright, articulate and has no problem speaking with adults or handling the pressure of a grilling from a reporter. He also has a keen ability to have fun at his own expense — a trait that's sorely lacking in many who walk among us.

I hope you'll take a moment to view the video I posted to our Web site, www.News-Herald.com, called Black History Month essay winner. It includes a few excerpts of Tommy reading his essay, the full text of which also is available on our Web site.

You won't regret it, I promise.

No comments: