Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snowed in

It's a little after 5 p.m. Saturday, and I can no longer see out of any of my windows — they're encased in snow.

I'm sure it's a scene common across about a third of the country as this winter storm pushes up from the south and through the Midwest and into the Northeast.

I'm a little upset about it, too, because I'm not good at sitting at home. I'd rather be shopping, or even just driving around. Not even I'm crazy enough to do that, however.

So far this afternoon, I've stood and watched four autos of various types get stuck on my street, which hasn't been touched by a snowplow. Currently, a minivan sits abandoned at the end of my driveway, about 5 hours after the driver foolishly tried to pass down the street. A couple of the private snowplow drivers also got stuck.

That was the sign that I shouldn't even try to leave home, no matter how much I wanted to hit the Macy's buy-one-get-one-free clearance sale.

I'm pretty convinced this is the most snow I've ever seen fall in my lifetime. I was around for the Blizzard of 1978, but I don't recall it being quite this bad. I'm just on the edge of the snow belt, so I can't even imagine how bad it is in Chardon.

Let us know what it's like where you are. Send us your pictures or stories of the Storm of 2008. E-mail photos and your viewpoint to editor@news-herald.com, and we'll use them in this week's editions of The News-Herald. Include your full name and hometown.

If you'd like to add a comment to this blog, we can accomplish it that way, too. But you'll have to also include your e-mail address.

Hopefully we'll see the end of this storm soon. I have shopping to do!!

2 comments:

Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

Hi Laura, we don't experience this often, do we? I'm having a hard time deciding if this is the most snow I've experienced. We had a few bad storms when I lived in Maryland that equaled this...and I was in Jackson Hole WY X-Country skiing of all things when the blizzard of '79 went up the East Cost. I still say, even though we were tortured with ice a week ago and now this, the Winter of two or three yrs ago, when it got cold and snowy in Oct and never let up until some time in April? That almost sent me back to Maryland.

Judy said...

Hi Laura,
the snow in our backyard is so deep that Joe has been snowblowing a path across our patio and around a tree so that
Bluto can get out to "potty". He's a boxer and you know how big he is. The drifts are so high that if he thought about it, he could walk right over our 4 foot fence. Judy